Sunday, September 19, 2010

Sleeping in a Crib!!


I've been wary of writing about this because I read dooce and whenever she writes about her daughter's successes (in this case, sleeping) the situation always changes for the worse. So, the lesson is, bragging about your sleeping success never turns out good. But, because I like to live on the edge, I'm going to go ahead and write about how great of a sleeper Elleanor has become.
It's been over a week since Elle's been sleeping in her crib. Prior to that, she slept with Bryan and I. Now, I was very anti co-sleeping throughout my pregnancy, in hindsight, I really never knew what the H I was in for with this baby (and I'm not just talking about sleep here, I had no clue of what taking care of a baby was all about).
But I digress, our first night home, when I couldn't get her to sleep in her bassinet, Bryan said (and I'll never forget this) "why don't you just bring her to bed with us." I was like, "ummmm, yeah, we can try that" fast forward 10 1/2 months later, one sore back, many many many nights of horrible sleep and here's a much bigger Elleanor still in bed with us. So, on Friday, September 10th, she went into her crib. And, guess what?!? She loves it. Everyone is sleeping better! (Even the dogs) Last night she slept through the night! The night before, one wake up (no biggie). She was literally waking up 5 - 10x a night when she was in bed with us. (It's amazing I stayed 1. sober and 2. sane over these past 10 1/2 months). We didn't have to do any sort of cry it out (thank you Jesus!). I will say, my only concern thus far is that we don't put her down awake and let her fall asleep on her own. We rock her until she's asleep and then set her down. Sometimes in the "setting down" process she wakes up, but she can, at that point, put herself to sleep.
Now let me tell you what, I know how lucky I am that this whole transition from co-sleeping to crib went as smoothly as it did. I like to say though, that even though she's not screaming, tantruming (is that a word?), etc at being in the crib, I feel that I endured enough torture in the whole sleep department and that this is my reward.
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment